2nd Chemo

Yesterday was my 2nd round of chemo, this time at the Main Building, instead of at the Mays Building, where I typically go for all of my gynecological services. MD Anderson is huge, but seems very well marked, so it is not TOO intimidating to find one’s way. So, I am 1/3 done with chemo; almost 1/4 of the way through radiation. Yippee!!

This week I am staying with long term, dear friends, Laura P. and Bill W. They live in a lovely neighborhood near the Medical Center, so it is very easy to get back and forth. My compadre, Anita, joined me at chemo. The only difficult part was that my veins were not cooperative, and it took 3 tries to get the IV started. I felt just a titch “off” but not bad. We read and played Canasta, and danged if she didn’t come from behind to beat me! We then joined Laura and my fabulous friend, Lynda B., for a great lunch before returning for radiation.

As a funny aside, the girl who “attempted” to take my blood for labs on Monday failed miserably. She went for help, and when the supervisor came in to take over, she said, “Honey, what were you trying to do? Looks like you were trying to hit her with a saber!! I’m not sure what you were going for here!” Oh well, everyone else has done better. C’est la vie!

Today I feeling pretty decent. I am supposed to drink at least 2 to 3 L of water after chemo, and I think I did a pretty good job on that yesterday. I took a bottle of homemade ginger lemon tea with me to drink during the four hour process, and I think that helped a lot. Last night, I had a wonderful dinner with Bill and Laura, and both for lunch and dinner ate like a pig. This morning, so far so good. Will have dinner with an old friend, Michael K. and his wife, this evening. Last night, Wheeler, Laura and I took a long walk around their neighborhood after dinner. That lifted my spirits, and I saw one of the most beautiful trees I think I’ve ever seen. I’ll take a picture and send it along another time.

Today is my slow day- just radiation. So, I may swim here at the Wheelers’ pool, nap, write thank yous, and start my long, overdo baby quilt for Mr. Wyatt. It is a little weird not to work or have other pressing matters to attend to. However, Mondays and Fridays are taken up with driving back and forth from Houston and radiation. Tuesdays and Thursdays are full of either chemo and radiation or doctors appointments and radiation Wednesday is my main down day.

The cool thing is that my brain feels a lot more clear on this chemo regimen. Not so foggy and my body doesn’t feel so “logey/heavy”. Last Thursday was when I noticed more nausea, but I am trying to head that off.

Still waking up a little disconcerted–patting what should be Michael’s side of the bed to figure out why he’s not there. What a miracle iPhones are for staying in touch!!

So, onward Jewish soldiers!! And anyone else, who wants to march along.